Category Archives: Violence Against Women

Domestic Abuse [Wales] Bill

The Welsh government announced this week plans to introduce a Domestic Abuse [Wales] Bill as part of the new legislative agenda.

The Bill, the first of its kind in the UK, will introduce a statutory requirement for all local authorities to have a violence against women strategy in place on a local level.

The Bill will be introduced during the 2013/14 legislative year.

Addressing the National Assembly on Monday First Minister Carwyn Jones said:

“This Government wants to do more to tackle the social problems of domestic abuse. We will introduce in the next two years the Domestic Abuse (Wales) Bill, designed to place a duty on relevant public sector bodies to have a domestic abuse and ‘violence against women strategy’ in place.  The Bill will not seek to address criminal justice issues.  Rather the purpose of the provisions will be concerned with social welfare and the prevention, protection and support elements of a domestic abuse and violence against women strategy.”

[Statement in full]

A representative from the Wales Violence Against Women Action Group said:

“We are also absolutely delighted that the First Minister announced a Domestic Abuse Bill, and hope that it will seek to tackle all forms of VAW and ensure that all main VAW services are statutory at a local level.

“Carl Sargeant, the Minister for Local Government and Communities has clearly taken on board our representations that services to help women who suffer violence are a postcode lottery in Wales. He clearly agrees with us that these services must be protected, even when finances are difficult.

“His support is very welcome, and we look forward to working with him over the next year or two to help deliver better services and a new bill to better protect women in Wales.”

Advertisements

Steps to Safety: snapshot of progress made in Wales to tackle violence against women

In 2010 the Welsh Government launched a six year strategy, called a Right to be safe, to tackle violence against women. A progress report,  Steps to Safety, has been published by the Wales Violence against Women Action Group [Wales VAW] to give a snapshot of progress made. 

 

Among the positive steps taken, the action group welcomes  the campaign launched by the WG last year to challenge attitudes towards violence against women [started in June with the One step too far campaign and followed by the Stop Blame campaign at Christmas] .

They also welcomed

  • better services for trafficked victims and improved co-ordination
  • a booklet for health professionals on FGM and some training provided on forced marriage

But while many of the aims labelled as tackling policy and prevention were in progress or completed, for many  of the “protection” and “provision” aims were labelled as having “no progress” made.

There was a lack of progress in areas including;

  • tackling the postcode lottery
  • providing secure funding for key services
  • ensuring someone in every school is trained to advise young women
  • working effectively across all Welsh Government departments and with the UK Government

Naomi Brightmore, Chair of the Wales VAW Action Group said:

“Carl Sargeant has demonstrated his political commitment to tackling violence against women, but turning a government strategy into real impacts on the ground is proving tricky.

“Though we can see that there are areas where progress has been made, the strategy contains no measureable targets or outcomes, so we cannot say that women in Wales are safer in 2011 than they were in 2010 – and that is surely what we are all working towards.

“Our member organisations tell us that the squeeze on public finances is making service provision on the ground even more patchy – so we are calling on the Minister to put even more pressure on the relevant public bodies.”

According to Ms Brightmore, in one month in Wales,

  • 150 women enter refuge following abuse, with 160 turned away.
  • Some 35 sexual assault cases will be taken to court.
  • Over 150 victims of rape or sexual abuse will seek counselling, help and support from the voluntary sector.
  • Five women will be victims of trafficking and 3 will report forced marriage.
  • It is quite likely that a woman will die this month at the hands of a family member or partner.

Paula Hardy, CEO of Welsh  Women’s Aid, said:

“We have seen some excellent progress over the past year, including the delivery of two innovative publicity campaigns, the expansion of the Wales Domestic Abuse Helpline (which WWA manages) to also support survivors of sexual violence, and publication of new guidance for teachers to deliver PSE lessons on domestic abuse and other forms of violence against women.

“We have welcomed the clear commitment to ending gender-based violence from the Minister of Communities and Local Government,  including the protection of the violence against women budget within his department.

“However, it is disappointing that this commitment is not matched across all Welsh Government departments, despite The Right to be Safe being billed as a ‘cross-departmental, integrated strategy’. Domestic abuse and other forms of gender-based violence affect all areas of a woman’s life, and all departments need to be engaged.

“Changes to vital funding streams in other departments, such as Supporting People funding in the Housing department, could have a detrimental impact to our 31 member groups across Wales, who provided refuge-based support for 1761 women and 1421 children and young people last year. We are also concerned at the lack of funding available for vital work with children and young people affected by domestic abuse.

“We are also concerned that there remain significant gaps between national policy and local delivery in this area. We need local authorities to understand that tackling violence against women is a national priority – and this should be enforced by legislation if needs be.”

There will be a debate in the Senedd on the issue of domestic violence at about 5pm this afternoon.


Slutwalkers take to Cardiff Streets

More than 200 people took to the streets of Cardiff today to protest against a culture of rape and victim blaming.

This was the first Slutwalk, a trend which started in Canada and the US in April, to take part in the UK.

Chants of “two, four six, eight, love sex, hate rape” and “Yes means yes and No means no” rang out as the march progressed from the city hall to St John’s church, where Cathy Owens of Amnesty International, Helen-Mary Jones of  Plaid Cymru and Dr Emma Renold of Cardiff University made speeches.

Helen Mary Jones said:

“I thought we had done all this in the seventies and eighties, I thought we had got the message across.  It breaks my heart as an old feminist to see a third of young Welsh people, including women think it is ok for a woman to be hurt or abused because of what she is wearing.

“No must mean no and we must get that message across.  This is an issue for us all.”

A survey of Welsh students by NUS Wales and Amnesty International in 2008 revealed more than one third [36 per cent] of people questioned believed a woman is responsible for being raped or sexually assaulted if she had acted in a flirtatious manner, while a quarter [23 per cent] thought a woman is responsible if she is wearing sexy or revealing clothing.

In another survey by the Havens Sexual Assault Referral Centre, 23 per cent of men questioned thought even a women said “no” right from the start, sex from that point was not rape.

Here are some of the social media responses to today’s walk.

[View the story “Cardiff Slutwalk: 4th June 2011” on Storify]


Cardiff Slutwalks: saying No to victim blaming.

Photo: Anton Bielousov

Slutwalking may have got itself a controversial reputation but organisers of the Cardiff march are keen to emphasise there is much more to this latest trend than fishnets and short skirts.

The slutwalking movement, which has spread over several continents in just over a month, is meant to tackle attitudes towards rape and victim blaming culture.

Women worldwide, angry at comments made by Canadian police officer Michael Sanguinetti that “women should avoid dressing as sluts in order not to be victimised”, have taken to the streets to challenge rape myths and reclaim the word slut.

More than 650 people have already signed up on Facebook to take part in the Cardiff walk, which will take place on June 4.

The Cardiff organisers, Beccy Pert, 20, Leah White, 25, Hannah Caddick, 21, and Lemon Cottrell, 21, have been overwhelmed by people’s responses.

From Left, Lemon Cottrell, Hannah Caddick, Leah White, Beccy Pert.

Hannah, an English Literature finalist at Cardiff University, said:

“We saw an article about it and I thought it was really inspirational and made me want to organise our own march.  We started an interest group on Facebook and within an hour we had fifty members and so many responses.  It really just snowballed.”

But not all the reaction has been good.  Leah said:

“The reactions we have had proves how important it is.  Victim blaming is a massive problem and so many people have reacted against it saying things like ‘what do women expect?’  It makes it obvious what a big problem it is and why we need to have the march.”

A survey of Welsh students by NUS Wales and Amnesty International in 2008 revealed more than one third [36 per cent] of people questioned believed a woman is responsible for being raped or sexually assaulted if she had acted in a flirtatious manner, while a quarter [23 per cent] thought a woman is responsible if she is wearing sexy or revealing clothing.

In another survey by the Havens Sexual Assault Referral Centre, 23 per cent of men questioned thought even a women said “no” right from the start, sex from that point was not rape.

Images of women marching in bras and fishnet stockings on marches in places such as Toronto and Boston have dominated the media but the Cardiff organisers are keen to make it clear women do not have to dress up to take place.

“The really extreme images aren’t really representative of the movement as a whole,” Leah said. “We are not encouraging people to dress up or behave like sluts, we want people to be comfortable.  We do not have the right to tell people how to dress and neither does anybody else.  That is what this is all about.”

The controversial name of the walks has been one of the main talking points in the media.  The idea of reclaiming the word slut has caused a lot of debate, not least among feminists.

Beccy said:

“Reclaiming the word slut is definitely a secondary to our main aim but I do think it is quite important.  There is no real male equivalent of the word.  Words like seducer or womaniser are used but they have this sense of admiration, while women who are sexually promiscuous are made to feel shamed and degraded by being called a slut.”

Cardiff Feminist Network [CFN] member Molly Zacharias, 27, of Alma Street, Treherbert, said:

“I think reclaiming the word is either really brave or really miscalculated but personally I think it’s really great we are trying to reclaim the word, like gay people did with the word queer.  I don’t think a lot of people are going to get it though.

“I think this is a great opportunity for feminists but it might be wasted because people are spending too much time debating whether or not the word slut needs reclaiming instead of getting together a more positive campaign.”

But not all supporters of the walk are so keen to reclaim the word.  Deputy director of the Institute of Welsh Affairs [IWA] and Llandaff councillor Kirsty Davies, who will be attending the walk with her daughter, said:

“I would hesitate to call any woman a slut so I don’t think the name is very helpful, though at the same time is has been useful in getting the attention of the media.

“While I am not interested in reclaiming the word I do think the message of the walk is very important.  It is an issue which doesn’t really get the attention it deserves, really because it happens so often.”

The focus on attittudes towards rape was heightened recently as Ken Clarke, Minister for Justice, faced controversy over comments he made suggesting there are different types of rape, some of which are more serious than others.

The Welsh Government has already made its position on rape and blame culture clear and in December launched a Stop Blame campaign to tackle attitudes.

At the time of the launch last December former Social Justice Minister Carl Sargeant said:

“Victims or rape or sexual assault are in no way responsible for what happens to them. Apparent justification such as ‘she was too drunk’ or ‘she was asking for it’ just doesn’t wash. This attitude can be extremely damaging for the victims and we must put an end to it now.

“There is absolutely no excuse for committing rape or sexual assault and the blame should never be placed on the victim.”

In stark contrast to the reaction to the slutwalks campaigns like Stop Blame and other events focussed on eliminating violence against women like Reclaim the Night have struggled to reach a wide audience.

Cardiff Feminist Hannah Austin, who also works for Welsh Women’s Aid  said:

“I have worked with government campaigns and it is really, really difficult because they hardly get any media attention.

“All the feedback has suggested the Stop Blame campaign has been successful but it is difficult to know if it has changed attitudes.”


Egypt: The oppression people aren’t talking about

Picture by Nick Bygon

The Egyptian political crisis seems to  be drawing fewer headlines now the campaign to remove President Mubarak has lost some of its momentum, though protestors are still camping out in Tahrir Square, determined to force a change of government.

But the oppression nobody seems to be concerned about is the ongoing one which is carried out against young girls every day.

Female Genital Mutilation [FGM] is still performed on millions of girls every year. Its prevalence in certain parts of Africa are shocking, above 90% in Egypt, Somalia, Djibouti, northern Sudan, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

In most of these countries the practice is illegal.

Senegalese hip-hop star Sister Fa spoke to the Observer on Sunday.  She is part of the campaign to eliminate the practice, and though some prevalence rates have been reduced [in Egypt it has fallen from 97% to 91% over the past decade] there is still a long way to go.  She told the Observer:

“Cutting is still here, a lot of women are in prison, but cutting is still here, nothing is changing, there are a lot of laws to punish people, but it’s prevention we need.”

She also spoke about the ineffectiveness of NGOs in Africa, because they lack the cultural sensitivity to tackle the issue.

In this area the human rights project is limited, perceived as inherently western and seemingly patronising towards African culture.

So perhaps human rights organisations are not best equipped to deal with the problem, but acknowledging this fact does not mean accepting FGM as a part of African culture.

Violence and mutilation should not be swept under the carpet as a part of life, wherever that life exists.

Sunday was international day against female genital mutilation.

No FGM symbol. Picture by Blatant World

The full interview with Sister Fa can be read here


Rape myth busting campaign from the WAG

Last week the Welsh Assembly  Government [WAG] launched a campaign to tackle attitudes towards rape.


This comes after some a study by the havens last month revealed some shocking statistics:

  • A third (34%) of people in the UK believe that a woman is partially or totally responsible for being raped if she has behaved in a flirtatious manner
  • More than a quarter (26%) of people think a woman was partially or totally responsible for being raped if she was wearing sexy or revealing clothing
  • Around one in 12 people (8%) believe a woman is totally responsible for being raped if she has many sexual partners
  • Nearly a third of people (30%) say a woman was partially or totally responsible for being raped if she was drunk

 

The campaign is focused on stopping blaming victims of rape, and asks the key question

Is it possible that a woman who drinks, dances and flirts, ALL in a short skirt, is doing it for her own enjoyment?

The following video highlights how some men feel they have ‘earned’ sex if they do certain things.


The campaign focuses on trying to dispel myths that the way a woman dresses, behaves or drinks means she is “asking for it.”  The campaign goals are to:

  • Challenge the endemic culture of victim blame.
  • Stop blaming the victim for rape and sexual assault committed against her.
  • Stop handing the rapist – the assailant – excuses that serve to make his behaviour more socially acceptable.

The bottom line of the campaign:

Rape is a crime in every sense of the word- emotional, physical, psychological and legal; the most intimate violation imaginable. No woman is ever ‘asking for it’.

 

 


The trivialisation of rape

The term rape is increasingly being used  out of the normal context on an everyday basis.

‘Fraping’, [Facebook raping] is just one example of how modern culture has trivialised a devastating and traumatic event that is a reality for thousands of women.

In 2009/2010 almost 14,000 women in the UK reported being raped to the police.

Online trader Etsy is following this trend by producing the following card, designed by ‘Youstupidbitch’:

The tag line on the card;

Get creeped on, get raped? Know someone that has? Then this card is for them

If this is tasteless and crass, what is it when you liken someone putting an unwanted comment on facebook to being sexually assaulted?

Completely different or a little bit the same?

Tell me what you think.